In 2015–2016, we will celebrate 100 years of the Foundation on its present site and 500 years of Bolton School.
In 1915, Lord Leverhulme brought together Bolton Grammar School for Boys and Bolton High School for Girls under one foundation sited on Chorley New Road, split into the Boys’ and Girls’ Divisions that we know today.
In 1516, Bolton Grammar School for Boys was recorded as “a going concern”. This is the earliest known reference to the school which would ultimately form Bolton School Boys’ Division. It is also the first record of a school in Bolton, and one of the earliest in Lancashire. Consequently 2016 is the 500th anniversary of education in Bolton.
A number of events and activities are planned throughout the two anniversary years to mark these auspicious dates, and all members of the School community are warmly invited to join us in these celebrations. Tickets for all events will go on sale in January 2015.
For more information about the celebrations and commemorations planned, visit the 100/500 microsite.