Back to: Noticeboard
Bolton School Junior girls and staff are now enjoying their new state-of-the-art school, Hesketh House! The new building was opened in September 2010 and the girls settled in well to their spacious and modern surroundings.
The brand new purpose built school comprises of eight classrooms, its own large computer suite, a science room, a well-resourced library, an art/design and technology room and a main hall. The £5m school, built by Bolton based contractors G & J Seddon, has taken just over a year to build, and is part of a programme of investment in new buildings and facilities at Bolton School.
Mrs Brierley, Head of the Junior Girls' School said: "Our new school has been designed to complement the impressive buildings that already exist here, and the specification holds true to the original intention that Bolton School would be a school built to last. It is a beautiful building inside and out. Curriculum provision for the girls will now take place in well furbished, learner friendly classrooms. Separate rooms are dedicated to the pursuit of art and design, science and ICT, and the library which occupies part of the top floor would tempt even the most reluctant reader in. We look forward to the exciting teaching and learning opportunities that will take place in this wonderful setting as we watch this impressive school come to life."
View a gallery of photos of the girls enjoying their new school
The new school building is known as "Hesketh House" - a tribute to Lord Leverhulme whose full name was William Hesketh Lever. The Hesketh name was a dual tribute to his mother, Elizabeth Hesketh and to the unrelated wholesale grocers Stones and Hesketh who took on William's father as a partner in 1841. It was Lord Leverhulme's vision and endowment in 1915 that brought Bolton High School for Girls and Bolton Grammar School for Boys together to become Bolton School (Girls' Division and Boys' Division). The great granddaughter of Lord Leverhulme, the Honourable Mrs Heber-Percy, was the guest of honour at the foundation stone laying ceremony back in January.