We want you to be a fluent and confident speaker of German who is interested in German life and culture. During your Sixth Form course, you will:
- Develop your speaking, listening, reading and writing skills to a high level
- Expand your knowledge of vocabulary and grammar so that you can express ideas and arguments forcefully and accurately
- Acquire new skills
- Learn more about German speaking countries
What will I study?
- Topics of interest to young people which build on what you learnt for GCSE eg Healthy Living and Popular Culture, as well as some new topics - you will study them in greater depth than previously and in a German context.
- A range of new topics and issues as they affect German speaking countries
- Cultural topics which reflect interesting aspects of German society
You will be able to express increasingly complex ideas on many topics. In fact, by the end of the course you will be able to talk about absolutely anything!
How will I be assessed?
For AS you will take a listening, reading and writing test and a 15-minute speaking test. The A2 examinations are similar, but the written paper is longer. At both levels you will have individual listening facilities.
How will I study?
- You will use varied resources from textbooks to satellite TV and the Internet
- You will have formal lessons with your teachers and informal conversation lessons with the German Assistant
- You will develop your independent study skills
We will also provide you with other exciting opportunities to use your German; for example, work experience placements, film evenings and exchange visits.
We strongly recommend that you should have a Grade A at GCSE.
Where will it lead?
Whatever your career and whatever your destination -Britain,Europeor beyond - a language is a valuable asset. For instance, you can study Medicine or Fine Art at a foreign university - as long as you are competent in the language.
Linguists are much sought after in the world of work because they are known to be highly skilled and adaptable.
"Currently I am studying Economics, German and Geography and I hope to go on to university and to continue studying Economics and German in the hope of working in Germany, possibly in banking. As well as my chosen A levels, I take part in the netball team and the Target 2.0 competition. In my AS year I helped coach the Year 6 and Year 7 netball teams and also helped at Beech House. I've really enjoyed the opportunities the Sixth Form has givenme and I feel I've used as many as I could."