Bolton School Former Pupils
The Levers of Darcy Lever - benefactors of Bolton Grammar School 1620-94
The north west part of the manor of Little Lever, separated from Great Lever by the River Croal, belonged in 1473 to Sir Richard Tempest of Broughton, Yorkshire, whose daughter married Lord D’Arcy. Hence the name that was commemorated by Fred Dibnah’s traction engine which he drove to Buckingham Palace in 2004 to receive the honour of MBE from the Queen. By the 16th Century the Levers had regained the manor and became wealthy dealing in cloth in the City of London. Successive members and relations by marriage were generous benefactors. Younger sons moved to Alkrington and Kersall. WE Brown cited details of their bequests in The History of Bolton School published in 1976. Their family tree has since been researched and clarifies their genealogy. Lord Leverhulme could trace his roots to the neighbouring Levers of Great Lever.
Malcolm Howe (1948-1956)