Bolton School Former Pupils
History Of The Old Boltonians' Association
The Old Boltonians' Association has a world-wide membership of over 4,500 former pupils of Bolton School Boys' Division. It has existed in one form or another since 1895, at which time the school, then Bolton Grammar School, was a small one-room school with fewer than 100 pupils.
The first Old Boys' Dinner was held in the Commercial Hotel, Bolton on March 21st 1895 and was attended by 63 members. By 1904 there had been considerable change in the school following amalgamation with Bolton High School and the move to the current site on Chorley New Road. The Association was reconstituted as The Bolton Grammar School and High School Old Boys' Association but, like many such institutions, its existence fell into abeyance during the First World War.
Moves to form the Association for the third time began in 1919 and by 1921 The Old Boltonians' Association had been formed (the school itself had assumed its new name of Bolton School in 1914). The Association has run continuously since that date, providing a link between Old Boys and their school and offering social and sporting opportunities. In particular, the Old Boltonians' AFC has been a very strong contributor to amateur football in Lancashire since 1920.