Young Musicians Showcase Talents
Thursday, 22 April 2021
The annual Young Musician of the Year competition in the Boys’ Division began in January with hundreds of boys submitting videos of their performances for consideration. 82 musicians were selected as semi-finalists, and the winner of each category was invited to take part in the Final, adjudicated live by Karen Humphreys MBE, Head of Junior RNCM.
Though this year there was no live audience in the Great Hall, the Junior and Senior finalists were delighted to hear one another’s performances in person and the event was filmed for parents, friends and family to enjoy later on the same evening.
The quality of performance throughout the Final was extremely high as all the performers are all winners in their own right, and it was no easy task to choose the two Young Musicians of the Year.
The Junior prize went to Year 7 pupil Antoine Jodeau, who played the Star Wars Title Theme by John Williams. The Senior prize was awarded to Jude Ashcroft in Year 13, who sang The Schmuel Song by Jason Robert Brown.
Other award winners in the Young Musician of the Year competition also performed as part of the occasion. The Junior and Senior Young Composers of the Year were Advaith Govindu in Year 7 with his piano piece ‘Tranquil’ and Year 12 student Matthew Settle who composed an orchestral ‘Pie Jesu’. 2021’s Most Promising Performer was Charlie Middleton in Year 13 singing ‘They Just Keep Moving The Line’ by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.
Mr Forgrieve, Head of Instrumental Studies, and adjudicator Karen Humphreys congratulated all of the boys on their excellent musicianship. Karen also commented after both the Junior and Senior performances on the joy of playing for a live audience: something that has been sorely missed during the pandemic! She told both sets of finalists that she had enjoyed all of their performances and reiterated: ‘You are all winners.’
The Junior Finalists (in performance order) were:
- Matthew Yeung (Year 7) playing Serenade by Gaspar Cassadó on violin
- Antoine Jodeau (Year 7) playing Star Wars Title Theme by John Williams on Corner
- Martin Ma (Year 7) playing Bamboo House Love Song by Haiying Li on Cucurbit Flute
- William Martin (Year 9) playing Pasticcio by Jean Langlais on organ
- James Wilson (Year 8) playing Old Bones Blues by Kit Morgan on electric guitar
- Ashton Kay (Year 9) playing Pop It In The Top by Luke Aldridge on drum kit
- Nathan Pierson (Year 8) singing Ain't Misbehavin’ by Fats Waller
The Senior Finalists (in performance order) were:
- Thomas Higham (Year 13) playing Concerto in F minor: I. Allegro by Weber on clarinet
- Harry Adams (Year 10) playing Russian Fantasia No.2 in D minor by Leo Portnoff on violin
- Tom Fox (Year 12) playing Study No. 56 by Georg Kopprasch on tuba
- Jamie Death (Year 11) playing Brazil Overture by Ralph Salmins on drum kit
- Jude Ashcroft (Year 13) singing The Schmuel Song by Jason Robert Brown
- William Miles (Year 12) playing Impromptu No. 3 in Gb by Schubert on piano
- Harry Paterson (Year 13) playing Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder on bass guitar
The Young Musician of the Year Final can be viewed in full here: Part 1 (Juniors) & Part 2 (Seniors)
Share or bookmark with: