Bolton School Sixth Form Boys
Throughout the Sixth Form years there is an active programme which helps build your work-related skills and follows on from the outcome of the Morrisby Profile in Year 11. Some of the main activities include:
- In November of Year 12, you will participate in the Business and Enterprise Awareness Training (BEAT) course, held at the School's own outdoor pursuits centre in the Lake District. Over three days, the programme introduces you to the concepts of business as well as developing interpersonal skills, interview techniques and leadership and team-working abilities.
- Later in the year and building on the BEAT course, you are given a vocationally based mock-interview designed to allow you to practise your interview technique.
- "The World of Work" programme, consisting of seminars given by a range of employers, allows you to hear speakers give their own insights into a wide range of careers
- A biennial Careers Convention gives you the opportunity to network and secure potential work experience placements.
- A visit to a Higher Education convention familiarises you with a range of universities who are all competing to secure the very best potential future graduates.
- You will attend two talks given by a former University Admissions Tutor on the topics of "Higher Education and Finance" and writing the "UCAS Personal Statement".
- You will receive several opportunities to expand your portfolio of work experience, including paid employment during the summer holidays.
A well-stocked Careers Department is staffed by two full-time Careers Assistants . You will be encouraged to make good use of its facilities in researching your future career and university options.
You can download the School's careers brochure "Off to a Flying Start" at the bottom of this page.
Other useful careers publications include:
Annual Careers Guide "Occupations"
ISCO Careers Sheets
Penguin Careers Guide
Clips from Lifetime Careers
'What do Graduates do?"
I feel that my time in the Sixth Form has prepared me well not only for my time at University, but also for my working life thereafter.
Bolton School's most endearing quality is that it isn't all about the education. Every pupil leaves as a well-rounded 18 year old, readily equipped for further education and life beyond that.
Download the Careers Brochure: